Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Country and Western Music in Hungarian

So, this morning I am slapped in the face with a cultural hybrid I never imagined. That is my failure, of course. The Man was gallantly sleeping downstairs with neighbor's dog (said dog feeling a little bereft and being too old to get up our suicide staircase), but I had the alarm on upstairs. Promptly, as is the nature of alarms, this one went off at 5:45 and played ... a country and western song in Hungarian.

Given the country music genre's origins in the English and Irish ballads, I would not have been surprised to find it there. But I didn't. Country music and line dancing are huge in Hungary and The Netherlands.

This makes sense. It makes sense on every level. The line dancing even makes perfect sense. It all explains the suspicious numbers of western boots I've been seeing around here.

So, the great American musical exports include not only jazz and rap, but something white people cooked up: country music and line dancing.

The circle is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment